The aim of the Known Consignor procedure is to ensure a security chain from the producer to the airline.
Therefore, air freight shipments from a Known Consignor, which have been subjected to the prescribed security measures and transported by Regulated Agents and are delivered at the airport to the airline or its handling agent.
The procedure is based on the fact that all prescribed measures and controls are carried out independently by all parties involved and this is confirmed in writing to the next recipient in the security chain.
The advantage: These airfreight consignments do not have to undergo any systematic, additional security checks.
On behalf of the Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA), we will inform, train, advise and prepare you in the process of becoming a Known Consignor so that your entity can be certified. To be certified as a Known Consignor, you must go through the following steps:
- Registration as Known Consignor
- Training of the security managers
- Elaboration of the security concept
- Implementation of the security concept
- On-site verification
- Certification by the FOCA
Known Consignor Validation
On the basis of the inspection and the security program, the Independent Validator prepares a report with recommendations to the FOCA. The FOCA alone decides on the certification and issues the certificate.
During the 5-year validity of the certificate as "Known Consignor", an interim on-site inspection is carried out in the 2nd or 3rd year.
Following steps will lead you to the certification:
- Registration at an Independent Validator as Known Consignor
- Registration for the training course "Security Manager for Known Consignor" at an Independent Validator
- Successful completion of the Security Manager training
- Written elaboration of the "Known Consignor" security program in accordance with the FOCA requirements
- Submission of the security program to the Independent Validator for examination
- Implementation of the security program "Known Consignor".
- Training of the employees of the Known Consignor, if necessary
- Notification to Independent Validator that Known Consignor is ready for inspection
- Successful completion of the on site verification
- Written request of the Independent Validator to the FOCA to issue the certificate as "Known Consignor".
Listing in the EU database of Known Consignors and issuance of the certificate as a Known Consignor by the FOCA – valid for 5 years